Sep 1, 2008

What are words for?

Do we ever really say what we mean? What we truly think? I doubt it. I was raised to hold my tongue. Didn't work too well. If I think it, chances are, it will spew forth from my lips. Not one of my most endearing qualities. Maybe it comes with age, the right to speak your mind. So many people,(just look at politicians) say what is expected, smile politely. I don't think I have the polite gene, except when I am on a time-clock...and that is only out of necessity. Do you think the average Joe would really be happy with the absolute truth? I don't. People like comfort, in their electronic gadgets, home, work, and even if the words are false, verbal reassurance is a great provider of comfort. A spoken Linus blanket. I have great compassion, cry at stupid movies, but bristle at bullshit. Life is too short, ya think?

3 comments:

the walking man said...

Lori, since I was a a small child I have always called them the way I see them. Circumspect language is only a part of my poetry and in that I try not to make it to abstract.

My mouth has always been the one organ of my body which has gotten me in more trouble than any other. I for one would have it no other way and expect the same from them who speak to me.

I wish age had tempered me some but to be honest I think it has only worked to sharpen the tongue. Words are for one thing and one thing only and that is to communicate the speakers vision of what is before them.

I suppose the question is would the world be better if we were all mute?

Lori said...

God gave us the ability to communicate, that is why he gave us 5 senses. As humans, if we were mute, we would just find a new way to spew the bullshit....Example, think back to elementary school.. Teacher told you to hold your nose, and place liquid on your tongue, no taste. Now take your fingers off your nose, and Oila...you had taste...Intelligent design will be the downfall of us creatures sooner or later.. How are your buttocks? Getting used to the electronic gadget? Stay well and healthy and keep writing...damn it I need something decent to read...

the walking man said...

Decent is a perception only few have of my ability to write Lori, but them that think it I hold in high regard. I posted the butt cheek saga today along with some backwards thinking...just between you and I this piece today should be read from the last line up...going dotty in my old age. Thank you my friend.