Oct 7, 2008

Friendship?

I am catching myself referring to people that I have been corresponding with online as my friends. I sat back and actually thought about that word. There are a few, not many, people that are in my life that I would call a friend. However, my internet friends, actually know as much about me as my real-life folks. Maybe more. There is something to be said for dishing with a complete stranger. I can sit here and type in my husband's boxers and t-shirt, drink my coffee and not worry if my hair looks okay as we correspond. I remember a specific act of kindness from an internet bud that touched me. I asked, and with no hesitation, I received help. If I am honest, this individual was quicker to respond than some friends who live one block away. There is alot to be said for intellectual friendship. I like picking others brains. That is how I learn. There are certain people I have met face to face, and due to hours of chatting, we didn't have any awkward lapses in conversation. We just picked up as comfortably as if we were at our keyboards. What does that hold for our future? Webcams and wireless is everywhere. What about the socially awkward? Freedom abounds online for the shy. This blog is my journal, I suppose. Bared soul for the world to see. I don't think I mind...

3 comments:

the walking man said...

A majority of the people I dialog with on a regular basis are web friends. It was different but that was long ago.

Now it is better to be able to talk openly and honestly in a world forum then not at all but I do miss the eye contact and immediate interaction. It is a higher bar to cross in the ether for someone to be called a friend.

Friend

Lori said...

I understand the eye contact issue. That is one of the ways I can gauge whether someone and I are actually relating. BTW...thanks, friend

meemawfish said...

I hope to be considered as a friend also.

Meemaw