Dec 21, 2009

How you know you are old




I was watching you tube, and one of the videos had a phonograph in it. I turned around and asked Baggy Pants if he knew what a phonograph was. I assumed he did. My smart, chrome thumbed Ipod wearing son just looked at me and said, " A phono what?"...When the song American Pie by Don McClean came out that was the first 45 I ever owned. I had a Mickey Mouse stereo, yeah, laugh, but I played it constantly. Than came my first real stereo and "I Can't Get No Satistfaction" played constantly. My parents hated me during my Mick Jagger phase. So did the neighbors. I thought at 13 my destiny in life was to marry that man. Things didn't work out the way my teenage mind planned. I love music. I can't imagine life without music. My son loves his music too. Some we agree on. Not much, but I'll settle for some. How can that child not know what a phonograph is????? Am I that old at 43? Maybe, I don't care. The memories of the music that I grew up with and my stereo with the stack of 45's and albums I wouldn't trade for the world. BTW...he now knows what a phonograph is. He doesn't really care.

7 comments:

the walking man said...

But does he know you used to have to wind them up because like a clock they were spring driven?

Lou said...

The Rolling Stone's "High Tide and Green Grass" was my first LP (33 1/3 RPM..LOL).

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Jesus, Lori. This is getting scary--same age and American Pie was my first 45, too. I also had a Kenner jukebox that had Let It Be on it.

Wow.

Lori said...

WM- I am not even going to bother explaining it, as he can't hear through the damn ipod.

Lou-I loved Sticky Fingers.


SB- I know, right? Great minds. I love Let it Be..The Beatles were number two for me. I was 14 when John Lennon got killed. I layed in bed and cried all day..I really remember that day..wow is right.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Lori,
I remember that time after John was murdered well, too. Heavy, heavy.

Lori said...

We should meet up for some cocktails and debauchery, or just some coffee...I think we might have fun.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Lori,
We would have fun. Definitely. Too bad I am in Ohio. If you ever get this way, let me know.

Love, SB.