Jan 18, 2010

A new phrase




Throwing someone under the bus....I have heard that in the last 3 months more than I have ever heard in my life. I actually was unfamiliar with that phrase. It is used quite frequently at my work. "Did you hear that so and so threw this manager under the bus to the owner"..The sad part is the phrase seems to be applicable more and more. I don't like it. I try very hard to do the opposite. Maybe it is a sign of the times. Everyone trying so hard to climb up the ladder by throwing others under that bus. People are very vindictive in a work environment. I learned that it will always come back to haunt you. There was a time about ten years ago when I was working at this same restaurant. We were like one big happy family with the usual bickering but there was genuine love between many of us. If someone's kids were sick, we would pick up their shift to help. Someone was overwhelmed with tables, we all jumped in to help them. Fast forward to now, and the environment has totally changed. They actually had a meeting about it. The phrase "But for the grace of God goes I", is one I prefer. Someone called me this morning.. They didn't have any cigarettes. I am not one with extra money. I gave them $8 and four cigarettes. Who knows when I might need a pack? That mentality has always been with me. I live day to day, tip to tip, paycheck to paycheck. Throwing people under a bus just seems to not be a healthy way to live if you believe in Karma. I do. I have seen proof that you do reap what you sow. So please if you see me coming, don't throw me under that big vehicle, pull me out of the way..Have a great day!

5 comments:

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Lori,
I'm not sure my e-mail responses to you are getting through. I keep getting returned notices on them. Just FYI, I mailed the check this morning. Thank you for getting the money to him.

Love you,

SB.

Lou said...

Oh, sweetie, keep on being just the way you are!

the walking man said...

Only people who have something someone else wants wind up under the bus. Own nothing or rather be owned by nothing and then you will have no fear of buses.

Kathy M. said...

I agree. I hope if I'm under the bus someone will pull me out of the way.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Lori said...

SB- I have been getting your emails.. I got your response this morning about your dad being from Baltimore...:)..he just got big brownie points from me...I just replied to your email.

Lou- I try..there are days I feel plain evil, really. I just run out of steam..

WM- As usual, us summed it up perfectly. It still makes me sad though. The pettiness and greed. The things people covet nowadays are ridiculous.

Kathy- Your welcome..I do believe that there are still enough people out there who care about humanity and their fellow man. They will be the one's with an outstretched hand to help.