Apr 17, 2008

Meet the glass blower...



Today was my day off and I happened to find that video clip of Timmy, the owners' of the restaurants son. He is the one who designed the glass for the dining room and the bar and bathrooms. His art gallery/studio is next door. He is only 25 years old. I actually wasn't quite sure about how he started out until I watched the video. His family is exceptionally nice and supportive. I think it is wonderful that someone his age is making a living doing what he loves to do. How many of us can say that? Many people have artistic sides within, they just don't get the opportunity or time to discover and nurture it. I love all types of art, but this is the first time that I am starting to really discover just how much of an art-form glass blowing is. It has to be amazing to start with a hot blob of molten glass and than 5 hours later you have this beautiful one of a kind creation. Yes, I am impressed. He does quite a bit of teaching with children ie.field trips and whatnot. I was curious as to what children would make, his answer was so simple and neat. MARBLES!!! Yes, I am old enough to remember playing with them. Made me kind of wistful for the days when playing with marbles was the makings of a great day.....

Lori

1 comment:

the walking man said...

Lori,
we all have an art and you are so right about taking the time to discover it and nurture it, regale yourself in it. Yet we all know that for every one writer sitting solitary at their keyboards; there are a million others competing for the same piece of pie.

Art is a wonderful thing when the artist does it for themselves first and the sale second.

% years I worked in a major art museum and spent a lot of time inspecting and handling different glass works. It is an awesome form and easily understandable why you can look back in it to easier more wistful days.

Peace

mark