Jul 14, 2008

Civil Unrest

I am starting to hear the murmurings...they are still just whispers. Can't pay rent,can't pay utilities, can't afford medicine--how the hell am I going to live..hand to mouth isn't even working. How much longer do you think our society is going to withstand this recession before there is civil unrest. Looting, rioting in the streets...destroying gas stations...home invasions to get food....etc..I am starting to thank God I have a dog that protects my house. I am not yet ready to purchase a gun, but Kenny and I have talked about it. I am just sensing a vibe rippling across our nation that people are fed up. The common enemy is the government and the oil companies...There are some key elements already in place to set things off. I live on faith, daily...not everyone else does. I believe God will provide...others don't have that mentality, they are more of a take matters in there own hands. Change Change..yes , we need change, but where to start? How to implement? I wish I had faith in my government. I'll stick with God...I like to be on a winning team...lol

6 comments:

the walking man said...

Lori, while at some point we may experience food riots (already happening in Bangladesh, Egypt) I doubt it for the foreseeable future.

I often wonder what happens when people are evicted, where do they go? Back to family? Squat in someone else's foreclosed house?

Your faith is what will pull you through this current cycle, absolutely true that God provides for them who simply make their need known.

Lori said...

Mark,

I have noticed a great increase in families living together. Not due to love of in-laws,lol, but out of economic necessity. I happen to see something positive coming from that. Maybe it will restore a sense of family again. Stranger things have been known to happen....

Wanda J said...

And it's definitely something this society could use, a sense of family...maybe we would go back to the days when children remain children till their late teens, rather than looking like (and trying to act like) they're adults by the time they reach junior high.

Lori said...

Pookie,

I know you remember the days when kids came in when the street lights came on. Neighbors watched EVERYONE'S kids. There was a sense of family, community, a sense of personal responsibility...I would love to see that return...

Erik Donald France said...

Yeah, I think pulling together is not a bad side effect of the Great Recession of 2008.

Keep the faith, ahd let's take care of each other ;->

Lori said...

Erik,

That's pretty much my daily motto...it's working...I am learning to smile as we munch on hot dogs and ff instead of steak and shrimp...lol, at least we are still sitting down and eating together...