Aug 17, 2008

Do people read books anymore?

As a lover of the written word, novels, poetry, fiction, autobiographies etc, it saddens me to see so many people who simply don't read anymore. Books have always been treasures to me. Once you get lost in the words you can almost live vicariously through the author. I remember when I was 12 reading Judy Blume novels. That and I was a secret Playboy reader. My dad used to leave them in the bathroom for our reading pleasure on the commode. I used to hope and pray that I would grow up and be large breasted and sexy just like those centerfold girls. That is how I learned about my vagina. So many kudos to Hugh Hefner for providing me with the gift that my body is special. I have yet to see my son lounging in bed reading a novel. Saturdays for me as a child were about going to the library and coming out with stacks of books up to my chin. I get rather melancholy, knowing that my love of the paperback, hardback or even a magazine is the one thing my son and and I will never share...

3 comments:

the walking man said...

Books...it has come to the point where reading is a refined taste. With your son's generation the pacing of picking up a book and sitting silently for a few hours seems to be anathema.

I've spent thousands of hours with them, good friends all. But I don't read them anymore, occasionally I will look some works up on the net and peruse them. I consciously left them behind, a move other writers I commune with say is not good. I say once I have spoken everything in my heart I will return to the printed word.

I don't fear for them who do not read as long as they get the same information somewhere else, that they don't is my cause for concern.

Maybe it is just an arc in their life, books should always be around for them to discover.

Minnesotablue said...

At my age there is no way I could begin to remember all the books I have read. I read constantly and tend to pick subject matter in streaks. I even read in the bath tub. I am currently reading mystery but love all subjects. I started reading when I was old enough and have been on a roll ever since.

Lori said...

MB,

I,also like a good mystery. I have been reading alot of Ann Rule books. Also I have always been a big fan of John Grisham. I will read just about anything when I am bored enough. To this day one of my favorite publications is Reader's Digest.