Feb 11, 2009

Waitressing rant

For the first time in almost 20 years of waiting tables I am finding myself struggling in this new southern climate. The customers like me. Today one of the girls was sick, so instead of leaving at 1:30, I stayed til 4pm. No biggie. Around 3:30 I had a massive allergy attack. I was at a table and got that dry tickle in your throat that just won't go away, which also makes your eyes run. My boss sits in front of a monitor, that has audio and video. He listens to everything. The way you speak at a table, what you say to the other staff. Nothing is sacred. I am disregarding how I personally feel about that because I like the job itself. Anyhow, boss man waits about 10 minutes of watching me choke and hack before he comes out on the floor so I can exscuse myself to go to the ladies room. Than at the end of my shift he told me that what I did was very unsanitary. WTF, I was the only one there. I always cough into my sleeve so I don't cough into my hands. As soon as he came out on the floor I did what was appropriate and swallowed a spoonful of honey and powdered my nose and washed my hands. There is something very unsettling about knowing that everything I say and do is being recorded, audio and video. I paid off the balance of my back support issue so I now have nothing hanging over my head. I am at the point where I am starting to realize that I do have a data entry certificate and have other skills. The owner told me that the staff is not allowed to talk about anything unless it is work related. In all my years I have never experienced serving in this type of environment. It is making me feel like a personal failure, yet I know I am good at what I do. The customers love me, which is the main reason I go to work. I wait on tables because I enjoy seeing pleasure in the eyes of guests as they finish a meal they find delightful. Period. So now when I go to work I will make a point of speaking to noone and just doing my job and going home. Big Brother is alive and well in the work environment and it gives me the fucking creeps.

No comments: