Jun 28, 2008

How long does it take to rise above a past track record?

Here is my question of the day....How long does it take people to stop judging you on your past track record? I am speaking personally of myself. I am now on 1/8 of my prescribed meds, which is a huge accomplishment. I have not used illegal drugs in many, many moons. I am on a diet, trying to eat healthier and blah blah blah...In 6 months I have lost 30lbs. I am 5"8 and weigh 159. Yet, I still run into people and see "that look"...and it is infuriating. I know...why care what other people think...But don't we all just a tad deep down inside? I think this geographical move is going to be the best thing in the world. I have learned to not share so much of my personal past with people. It usually bites me in the ass somewhere along the line. I tend to be a very upfront and blunt person. Life is too short for bullshit and all that superficial crap. I tend to take most people on face value. I tend to believe in intuition as far as making assessments of my fellow man. There are three sides to every story, his, hers and the truth...that is one of the principles I try to remember daily. I was quite the mess in my twenties, and yes, even my early mid thirties...People who meet me nowadays would have no clue...actually would be rather shocked. I am 41 and make a conscious effort daily to be a decent person. Shouldn't that be enough? I did receive a rather interesting piece of advice from a galpal...and I quote..."If I don't sleep with you and you don't pay my bills, than why should your opinion matter?" I can actually forsee myself mouthing these same words to certain people who need to hear them, and I think it might feel wonderful to say them out loud...

Ta ta Lori

2 comments:

the walking man said...

Has moving day arrived? I'll see you on the other side then eh?

Let them judge you on your past Lori, it has no relavence to your present.

Lori said...

Next week Mark...this is the first summer we didn't plant our veggie garden...we took up gardening 4 years ago...I grow a mean beefsteak tomato dear....