Aug 12, 2012

Fairs

Well it's eary, early Sunday morning. Joe and the dog are asleep in my bed and I am wide awake writing my blog. We went to the Red Lion Fair today and it was very congested as local events in small towns are. I received so many pamphlets from so many religous groups my hands were full. Tina and I walked for about as long as we were interested and than headed home. I think my day of big crowds are pretty much over. Maybe I am just getting old, who knows. I see these places as people seeking to empty my wallet. Not cheaply either. Everyone had a brochure to hand out from every denomination etc. I do not need anymore stuff in my room as I have yet to organize my new possessions yet. So I was very proud that I only spent $15 at the fair. I could have went crazy but how much "stuff" does one person need? It is so easy to get caught up in the frenzy that goes on at these events. I guess as you get older and wiser you no longer feel the need to please every damn vendor with his/her hand out. So all in all we did real well considering we both love to shop. When trinkets are arranged and laid out so pretty it is very tempting to get caught up in the moment. They did have some fashion shows which all the parents and grandparents were there to photograph. It is nice to see a sense of community in my small town. Tina had to wear tons of sun screen and a floppy hat to keep her face from not healing properly. She was a trooper. I know she was tired. Lucky for her so was I. So we stayed for about 45 minutes and than headed home. We still had cash in our pockets, how cool is that? I wonder how many people in the big urban ares still have fairs and parades like we do? Maybe that is why so many people feel isolated from each other and their neighbors? When people are working towards a common good it unites everyone. People start to care. You can tell a neighborhood when people stop caring. It is very apparent to everyone who lives there and drives by. All of my neighbors sweep their steps and make sure they recycle. We all know each other's dogs and kids. It is a lovely feeling. More young people need to grow up in a "neighborhood" not just a street. They even had a table for people who need help with addiction. Right in the middle of the fair. That was a joy for my eyes. Everyone else seems to push it under the rug or has that NIMBY mentality. All in all is was a great day. I needed one. So much stress building up lately. Like I have often stated, I am making the most of my days where I can just be. Peace!

3 comments:

the walking man said...

I could say to all of this at least ten times over for ten different conclusion you stated.

I started to not like big crowds when I was 28 and I have been fairly successful at avoiding them for 30 years now. Yay me!

Lori said...

WM- My favorite places these days seems to be the local diner. You can conversate over a hot cup of coffee and relax. I'm 45, scared to think of what I will consider fun at 50, lol....xoxo

luluberoo said...

Although I enjoyed fairs, I quit going awhile back because the stuff is so overpriced. And you can't take it back! I was buying "stuff" I didn't need.

It's fun to walk around with girlfriends and look once in awhile though. It's a lovely summertime thing!