Oct 7, 2009

My concrete city....




Spent a day doing all the fun stuff, ie. post office, changing address, doctors, general errands. God do I love my rude city. The blunt people who give you the finger while your driving. That is a smile from another driver in this city. We show our love by being blunt. No sugar coating here. We are probably one of the top self medicating cities in the US. Maybe not, I am not a statician. I understand it. For the last two morning I have went upstairs and my landlord has ten empty beer cans on his coffee table. He rationalizes it, saying "I don't drive".. Good for him. He is no worse than the Baltimore people in line at the methadone clinics, or the housewife popping Xanax as she makes over easy eggs for her children. Baltimore has a code of ethics. We don't snitch. We dislike the government. We realize we can't change shit, so the beer cans pop, the crack pipes light and the junkies knock on your back door for scrap metal from your yard. So why amidst all the savages do I prefer this city to the bible belt? Because I am blunt. Are we all savages? There are beautiful people in this city as well. People who stand in the cold and give out soup and a meal and don't care why you don't have the money, just want you to have some food in your stomach. We have numerous needles exchange programs for harm reduction. We are not a stupid city. We fight for our rights. The homeless dude who babbles about doomsday is left alone and allowed to babble. Just about anyone can get medical care. Yeah, the cost of living is higher. I lost my husband due to poor medical care. So the price of rural living was actually more expensive than I ever imagined in my life. So today I am going to put on my nice blunt smile and go to work at 7-11, and put a smile on hopefully at least a few faces. Glad to be home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Still very fresh, isn't t? I can feel everything you feel when you talk about medical care. it still is amazing that there is a debate about it.

Lori said...

Whitemist- I imagine you can totally relate to the healthcare situation. It is heartbreaking. My friend is 70 and his grandson was just hit head on in a car accident. He is 18 and no insurance. He has massive head trauma. After a week they sent him home, for home care. This kids life will never be the same and the medical bills are rolling in faster and faster. How can there even be a debate? Hope you are doing well.