Jun 11, 2008

$4.05 a gallon??????

What the fuck???? Excuse me, but this is unacceptable. Where is the accountability? I am 41, I remember being a kid and sitting in the gas lines of the 70's, odd and even days. Now it wouldn't make a difference because there would be no line, because people can't afford it. Kenny and I argued last night. I said we should make the price of our wheat commiserate with the price of oil.. He said we can't because that is a crime against humanity, and we would be just like Hitler. I don't agree with him. They are starving us in their own way. The price of my eggs and milk have skyrocketed. I can only whip up so many damn recipes with ground beef...This is all going to eventually lead to another war. I am not the most politically knowledgeable person, but I think it not a coincidence that we are stationed in the Middle East. We aren't leaving anytime soon. What saddens me is this generation seems so oblivious to what is going on right in front of their eyes. Kids don't move out anymore. They can't afford it. I have an 18yr old at home who is totally clueless. My dear Uncle, who is probably the closest thing to an old school hippie, used to drive around in a punchbuggy and make his jewelry out of his car or wherever he could..he was and is the light of my life. He always had his convictions and spoke them, no matter who got offended and that is what I love the most about him. Do our young people have convictions and beliefs, enough passions to sacrifice material things for the greater good. Ride a bike instead of drive. Turn of the damn air conditioning. Plant a garden...My husband thinks they do, he believes it is the older folks who are more set in their ways and more unbending ie, my health, my asmtha, I'm not gonna be around when we run out of oil etc. The same people that marched in Vietnam are the same ones now who are retired and just live their days out. He hears the "not in my lifetime, so why worry"...I believe I agree with him on that. This is what dear hubby told me this morning..

God granted certain people an audience with one question..

A person from North Korea asked,"God, when will my people be free from oppression and dictatorship"..God smiled and said "20 years after you die.."

A person from Africa asked "Heavenly Father, when will my people stop starving, and being killed?" God replied," 40 years after you die"

A person from the United States asked God, "Pleae Father, when will we stop fighting over oil?"

God just cried...

Have a blessed day...Lori

4 comments:

Wanda J said...

Wow; what your hubby said would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Nothing has made me feel as old as knowing that I can remember when gas was about $.50 a gallon and thinking that was high; I still drive to work everyday though. I can remember when cigarettes were $.45 a pack (buying them for my mother); by the time they went up to $.90 I was smoking myself and said when they got to $1.00 I'd quit....I quit in September of 2007.

Behavior like that is exactly what those who control the oil are banking on; we'll complain, and we may slow down, but we won't stop. (Unfortunately)

Lori said...

Amen sister...and sweetie we aren't old, we are just getting better, right???? You have me beat on the tobacco. I did switch to generics, but I am seriously contemplating quitting permanently. Damn, what vices will I have left????


Lori

the walking man said...

"Damn, what vices will I have left????"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...I was going to quit too, also for economic reasons. I also asked myself the same question and decided that if I pay $4 a pack and make that pack last 1.5 -2 days I am conserving not only my last true "vice" (gotta have a vice!)but giving people another reason to marginalize me. (ewww you smoke!?!)(fuck 'em!){Pall Malls are respectively cheap}

Kenny is right, but he is still an old poop, my generation is indolent in wanting to retire from the mess we have created. We would leave it to you Lori, and your gen Z child. The problem is that the tools our parents taught us, we dropped as quickly as the lessons reached the ears.

We never passed them along, because we never were able to recall them.

Personally I think it is bullshit, them that created the hole in the space time fabric should rectify it.

But we are not the WWduece generation. In the face of negative odds we are not willing to storm the shores of Normandy again. And those of us who would were generally born in the ass end of that first slacker generation gone to board rooms, and only have voice not power.

So now gen X comes to power trying to wrest it away from your parents. Sadly most of them who should most definitely want to cede the reigns are too hung up in their own clattering for wealth to retire in.

Idiots.

But you do what you can, when hamburger gets to expensive seek out foods that grow in your native region. Go to the shore and get your own crabs when they are in season, look to books to teach you which plants are edible and how to prepare them.

If you don't know how to bake bread download recipes from the internet and start practicing...you'll get there. Use your time to learn the tools them in the "flapper generation" had to relearn when the depression hit. Just whatever you do don't sit idly by...that is a waste of time.

Lori said...

Walking Man,


Guess what? You and the old poop have something in common. He smokes stinky Pall Malls too....Great minds must go hand in hand with their cigarettes..

Lori